Thursday, July 12, 2018

Criteria for Hymn Selection: Christocentric

“The righteous live alone by God’s grace, work, Word and might reveal in Christ which is their preaching, hymn, praise and song.” Martin Luther, The Good Confession of Psalm 118 (1530; Erl. 41:57-58).

It has been popular to use the hyphenated “Christ-centered” as a compound adjective to describe such things as education, marriage, or counseling. Perhaps it would be better to say solus Christus, "Christ alone," rather than “Christocentric.” Saying that Jesus is at the center does not necessarily address that which may lie at the periphery. Thus, the Scriptures do not speak of a Christ at the center but rather: "Christ is all and in all." (Col 3:11b), as is also echoed in other passages of Scripture emphasizing the "all things" from and through and by Christ alone.

In Thee Alone, O Christ, My Lord

In Thee alone, O Christ, my Lord, 
My hope on earth remaineth;
I know Thou wilt Thine aid afford,
Naught else my soul sustaineth.
No strength of man, no earthly stay
Can help me in the evil day;
Thou, only Thou, canst aid supply.
To Thee I cry; On Thee I bid my heart rely.

No comments:

Post a Comment