Friday, October 1, 2021

Hello Again

Hello, again. 

It has been a year since anything new has been posted on THL. I figured it was time to return. 

Perhaps, that isn’t quite accurate. Actually, I was actively looking for an alternative to the blog. 

I played around with the idea of a direct email. With my nostalgia for all things obsolete, I even considered a physical newsletter. Yes, one that would go out via the US Postal Service. 

And before you point it out, I get that blogs themselves are totally 15 years ago. The blog pushes my nostalgia buttons, but I have other reasons for wanting to transition away from it. 

I didn’t (and still don’t) like that this blog depends on another entity to exist. That means if what I say here becomes distasteful to any number of people/groups, The Hodgkins Lutheran is at the mercy of those who host it. Hence, my desire to try and figure out a way for THL to go “off the grid”, so to speak. 

I finally decided that an old-fashioned Computer Bulletin Board System (BBS for short) would be the best alternative. I could definitely retain total control over both who can access it, and who has authority over whether it can operate or not. With a BBS there would be more of a community feel about THL. We would post messages, send electronic mail back and forth (the BBS kind), and share files. And, probably most importantly, a Hodgkins Lutheran BBS would have given me my 1980’s nostalgia fix. If you want to find out more about them (and I encourage you to do so) click here. 

But, I couldn’t figure it out. Seriously. I watched literal hours of YouTube videos on the subject and just couldn’t figure out what the hell I was doing. It was supremely disappointing. 

So, here we are, back on the internet. The more sterile and monitored world-wide-web, akin to Buffalo Bill’s traveling wild west show than the actual wild west. An internet where we have to be careful not to argue positions like men and women are different, it shouldn’t be legal to murder babies in the womb, and Jesus is Lord. 

Also, whether or not abbreviations count in Scrabble (They don’t). 

So, I’m going to try to talk about these things which are important to our everyday lives from the Christian perspective, because I don’t think we talk about them either properly, or enough. I’m going to do it positively, trying to show what Scripture teaches rather than how others are wrong. And I’m going to try and do it in chunks of 750 words or less (but no promises on that one). 

If anyone remembers how to set up a BBS, I’d love to hear from you. 

THL ###

No comments:

Post a Comment